Route 29 Widening
The purpose of this project is to widen Route 29 (Seminole Trail) from a four-lane divided highway to a six-lane divided highway from Route 643 (Polo Grounds Road) to Route 1719 (Towncenter Drive) in northern Albemarle County.
The project will increase the roadway capacity, which will reduce congestion on this heavily traveled section of Route 29. The project also includes safety improvements at previously identified locations.
What Is Proposed?
This project will widen Route 29 from four to six lanes by adding an additional lane on both sides of the highway between Route 643 (Polo Grounds Road) and Route 1719 (Towncenter Drive). The roadway will be designed with curb and gutter and sidewalks on both sides.
The project will include a paved multi-use path on the east side of Route 29 from the southern end of the project to Hollymead Drive. A pedestrian crosswalk at that intersection will allow pedestrians and other users to cross Route 29 to a paved sidewalk on the west side that will extend north to Towncenter Drive.
Improvement of this 1.8-mile-long section will complete the widening of Route 29 north to Route 649 (Airport Road) and will also include reconstruction of some sections of the existing highway to eliminate sight-distance deficiencies and improve overall safety. During construction, two lanes of traffic and all existing access points will be maintained in both directions.
The project is included in the Route 29 Solutions projects package and is proposed to advance through construction as part of a design-build contract that also includes Berkmar Drive Extended and construction of a grade-separated intersection at Route 29 and Route 631 (Rio Road).
Design Review Submissions
- Approved roadway construction plans, part 1 of 3 (posted Oct. 30, 2015) 43 MB
- Approved roadway construction plans, part 2 of 3 (posted Oct. 30, 2015) 64 MB
- Approved roadway construction plans, part 3 of 3 (posted Oct. 30, 2015) 88 MB
- Approved roadway cross-section plans (posted Oct. 30, 2015) 16 MB
- Route 29 Widening 100 percent roadway design plans (posted Sept. 17, 2015) 163 MB
- 60 percent roadway design plans (posted June 15, 2015), 98.1 MB
- 60 percent roadway cross-section plans (posted June 15, 2015), 13.1 MB
- 30 percent roadway design plans (posted April 1, 2015), 48.5 MB
- 30 percent roadway cross-section plans (posted April 1, 2015), 12.2 MB
Information and Resources
Public Notice: Section 4(f) finding of de minimus impact relating to use of Albemarle Co. Greenway Conservation Easement
Categorical Exclusion, National Environmental Policy Act, 108 KB
Public Notice: Review and comment period for NEPA document, Sept. 9-24, 2014, 28 KB
Environmental document review/comments: Sept. 9 - 24, 2014
Design public hearing: Held Tuesday, Oct. 14, 2014, 5 - 7 p.m.
Albemarle High School cafeteria
2775 Hydraulic Road
Charlottesville, VA 22901
Design-build contract award: February 2015
Utility relocation begins: Summer 2015
Construction begins: September 2015
Construction complete: October 2017
Total cost: $61.3 million
Engineering: $2.2 million
Right of Way and Utility Relocation: $3.4 million
Construction: $55.7 million
(These costs are preliminary planning estimates and subject to change as the project is finalized.)